Present as every year with our friends of the Museum of Armored Vehicles of Saumur, we exposed this year our half-track White M16 MGMC (Multiple Gun Motor Carriage), an anti-aircraft armored vehicle effective and appreciated that had a very long career well beyond the second World war. Designed and produced by White Motor Company in the period from 1940 to 1942, 5800 units were built from 1942 to 1944. Four machine guns Browning M2 12.7mm caliber (.50 “) which design dated back to the end of the First World War made it a formidable challenge for low flying aircrafts. Despite its weight of 9.4 T (21.000lbs) is a vehicle which engine 6-cylinder in line, side-valves, gave excellent performance in rough terrain and on the road with a top speed of 72km / h (45mph).
For imposing as this machine was, it could not compete with the vehicle brought by our neighbors, the Museum of Saumur : The Royal Tiger ! It was the largest, heaviest and most destructive of the German tanks. With 70t and its 88mm cannon, there was no equivalent among allies. However, its complexity, its undersized engine that worked continuously at full power as the infernal logistics of its gasoline supply were his Achille’s heel. Of the 489 produced, as compared to 48,000 Sherman tanks, only six survive and only one is in working condition, that of the Museum of Saumur.
Video of the arrival of the Royal Tiger Saumur Museum: